ABV Chicago’s Fantasy FoBAB League: 2021 Draft Results
(If you’re interested in running your own Fantasy FoBAB league, check out our setup and Power Rankings in this post. But you might want to hurry…)
With the Festival of Wood and Barrel-aged Beers returning this weekend and the awards set for Saturday afternoon (which you can stream from the FoBAB website at 2PM), we will be in attendance with our scoresheets in hand to see who will win the 3rd Annual ABV Chicago Fantasy FoBAB league.
Scoring Reminder: The scoring works like this: a gold medal is worth 3 points, a silver is worth 2 points, and a bronze medal is worth 1 point. If the brewery wins Best of Show or Runner-Up, that will be an additional 3 points or 2 points respectively.
Multiple Location Breweries (MLBs): For simplicity’s sake, we combined breweries that were entering beer from multiple locations as one draftable entity, but each fantasy squad was only allowed to own one. Breweries are limited to entering two beers for competition, so these MLBs obviously have a slight advantage by doubling their chances. (All MLBs are marked with a plus sign in the draft results below.)
Brewery List Changes: There were a few small changes that we know of to the brewery list that were not known at the time of the draft. A reader emailed us after we had already completed our draft to let us know that Hop Butcher for the World (and Iowa Brewing) were added to the list. There have also been unsubstantiated rumors of a few other breweries not listed on FoBAB’s site that may be late entries to the competition, but ultimately, we drafted our league based off of the list initially released by the Illinois Craft Brewers Guild.
The 3rd Annual ABV Chicago Fantasy FoBAB League: Draft Results
Team: Fluffy Afro Squad
Team Manager: Chalonda White
Kick ass wife, mother, beer & bourbon drinker, who is living her life like it’s golden while rockin an amazing afro.
1. Revolution Brewing (Chicago, IL)
22. Metropolitan Brewing (Chicago, IL)
23. MobCraft Beer (Madison, WI)
44. Transient Artisan Ales (Bridgman, MI)
45. Prairie Artisan Ales (Tulsa, OK)
66. Barrel Culture Brewing and Blending (Durham, NC)
Team: The Road Sodas
Team Manager: Nik White
Nik is the co-founder of Chicago Beer Geeks and the co-host of the Chicago Beer Pass podcast. When not sipping Hypnotiq from a coffee mug or spending too much time deciphering the goddamn Julian Date Code on a Lagunitas 6pk at checkout, Nik loves spending time with his wife and their Golden Retriever, Raleigh.
2. Off Color Brewing – Mousetrap & Production (Chicago, IL)+
21. Goose Island Beer Co. (Chicago, IL)
24. Maplewood Brewery & Distillery (Chicago, IL)
43. Open Outcry Brewing (Chicago, IL)
46. Penrose Brewing Co. (Geneva, IL)
65. 18th Street Brewery (Hammond, IN)
Team: The Old Man Lagers
Team Manager: Ryan Tracy
Ryan is the owner and general manager of Beer on the Wall, a craft-beer focused liquor store and tap room located in Park Ridge and Arlington Heights. He resides in nearby Arlington Heights where he routinely drags his supportive wife, son, and daughter to breweries to play board games and brag about how much their cat loves him the most. He is also the 2019 Fantasy FOBAB Champion.
3. More Brewing Company (Villa Park, IL & Huntley, IL)+
20. Tin City Cider (Paso Robles, CA)
25. Cerebral Brewing (Denver, CO)
42. Hacienda Beer Co. (Baileys Harbor, WI)
47. Verboten Brewing and Barrel Project (Loveland, CO)
64. Upstream Brewing Company (Omaha, NE)
Team: Freshie Fridays
Team Manager: Christina Rose
Christina is a Chicago beer enthusiast, always on the lookout for the best locally-brewed beers in Chicagoland and wherever her travels take her. Her Instagram (@lovechristinarose) is full of beer content, including a #FreshieFriday beer review video each Friday!
4. Wolf’s Ridge Brewing (Columbus, OH)+
19. Dovetail Brewery (Chicago, IL)
26. Allagash Brewing Company (Portland, ME)
41. Pipeworks Brewing Co, (Chicago, IL)
48. Temperance Beer Co.(Evanston, IL)
63. Around the Bend Beer Co. (Chicago, IL)
Team: Dangerous Nights Crew
Team Manager: Ryan I.
Ryan has been the co-host and producer of the ABV Chicago craft beer podcast for eight years. He teaches middle school, lives in Forest Park with his wife and two kids, and sometimes comes up with silly high-concept beer games while washing the dishes.
5. The Lost Abbey (San Marcos, CA)
18. Old Irving Brewing Co. (Chicago, IL)
27. Cellar West Artisan Ales (Lafayette, CO)
40. Oozlefinch Beers and Blending (Fort Monroe, VA)
49. Sun King Brewery (Indianapolis, IN)+
62. Riverlands Brewing Company (St. Charles, IL)
Team: Slow Pour Haze
Team Manager: Mike Zoller
Mike Zoller is the Midwest Editor for PorchDrinking.com and has been covering beer in Chicago for 9 years. He also runs the Instagram and TikTok accounts: @chicagobeer.
6. Half Acre Beer Co. (Chicago, IL)
17. Mikerphone Brewing (Elk Grove Village, IL)
28. Spiteful Brewing (Chicago, IL)
39. Lakefront Brewery (Milwaukee, WI)
50. Firestone Walker Brewing Company (Paso Robles, CA)
61. Noon Whistle Brewing (Lombard, IL & Naperville, IL)+
Team: Malt is the New Hops
Team Manager: Jack Muldowney
Jack Muldowney runs a Chicago design studio called Malt, and once even ran a beer mag called The Hop Review. When he’s not managing businesses with beer-themed names, he can be spotted biking the city en route to one of Chicago’s famed parking lot Biergartens.
7. Pollyanna Brewing Company (Lemont, IL & Roselle, IL)+
16. Nebraska Brewing Company (La Vista, NE)
29. Misbeehavin’ Meads (Valparaiso, IN)
38. Blackberry Farm Brewery (Maryviille, TN)
51. Derive Brewing Company (Columbus, OH)
60. Alter Brewing Company (Downers Grove, IL)
Team: Fantasy FoBAB-er OF THE NORTH
Team Manager: Karl Klockars
Karl Klockars is a co-creator of GuysDrinkingBeer.com, author of Beer Lovers Chicago, a beer-focused writer for a whole bunch of places, a northern Michigan transplant and America’s Preeminent Hard Seltzer Smoothie Journalist.
8. Werk Force Brewing Co. (Plainfield, IL)
15. The Hopewell Brewing Company (Chicago, IL)
30. Church Street Brewing Company (Itasca, IL)
37. Rhinegeist Brewery (Cincinnati, OH)+
52. Virtue Cider (Fennville, MI)
59. Odd Side Ales (Grand Haven, MI)
Team: Sugar Water Syndicate
Team Manager: Craig G.
You. Yes you. Brewer. Got an opportunity for you. You make that sugar water. We wanna help. Brewers just like you. The more sugar the better. Bulk cereal? Got a warehouse full of it. Confections? The city asks us for them. More fruit? We got farms full of the stuff. We run the sugar water racket in this town. Join us.
9. Bottle Logic Brewing (Anaheim, CA)
14. Cruz Blanca Brewery (Chicago, IL)
31. Haymarket Brewery (Chicago, IL & Bridgman, MI)+
36. Art History Brewing (Geneva, IL)
53. Wellspent Brewing Company (St. Louis, MO)
58. Second City Meadery (Chicago, IL)
Team: The Recovering Rep
Team Manager: Tom White
Tom White is a former beer sales rep and co-owner of Chicago beer journal, The Hop Review. He currently resides in Grand Rapids, Michigan where he works in a very non-beer centric industry while reminiscing of beer filled days long past.
10. Phase Three Brewing (Lake Zurich, IL)
13. DESTIHL Brewery (Normal, IL)
32. Horse Thief Hollow Brewing Co. (Chicago, IL)
35. Farmhaus Cider Co. (Hudsonville, MI)
54. Milwaukee Brewing Company (Milwaukee, WI)
57. Avery Brewing Company (Boulder, CO)
Team: Small Town Beer Writers Consortium
Team Manager: Joshua Riley
Former Craft Beer Columnist for the Daily Journal in Kankakee, freelance writer for Chicago Reader, and has been featured in Forbes, connoisseur of craft lagers, giant pretzels, classic literature, and old video games.
11. Other Half Brewing Company (Brooklyn, NY)+
12. Whiskey Hill Brewing (Westmont, IL)
33. Jackie O’s Brewery (Athens, OH)
34. Angry Orchard (Walden, NY)
55. Arclight Brewing Company (Watervliet, MI)
56. Short Fuse Brewing Company (Schiller Park, IL)